Management processes and resources
Tools to guide the researcher through the ongoing oversight and management throughout a study.
Although the PI is responsible for both scientific and financial oversight of a sponsored award, sponsored awards are made to VCU and VCU's research support departments will ensure that sponsor, institutional and all other general and award-specific policies, commitments and guidelines are adhered to.*
*An exception is Quality Improvement agreements which are made to and managed by VCUHS.
NOTE for all researchers and especially clinical researchers in the Department of Pediatrics:
- VCU is the academic research institution name brand recognized by the NIH and other non-industry sponsors so please use the linked here letterhead for your pre and post-award sponsored award letters to ensure that the Sponsor recognizes that you exist in and are supported by an institution that has the infrastructure to successfully oversee your award.
Researcher roles and responsibilities
If you receive an intent to award or an award notification from the Sponsor, please ensure that the Pediatric Research Office (PRO) staff is included or made aware so that we can help with internal activation processes.
- Just in time notification: Forward the email to a PRO grant administrator to begin compiling the requested documents. If your proposal involves human subjects research, the protocol must now be submitted and IRB approval received as part of the JIT documentation submission and before the award can be made.
- Notice of award: Read your NOA carefully for any changes from what was proposed and make note of relevant dates such as progress reports and any other post-award requirements made by the sponsor.
- Index: NOA is received, an index (account number) will be obtained so that the PRO staff can allocate committed effort and the proposed project can get underway. Please discuss spending needs with PRO staff to ensure sponsor and institutional policies are followed and discuss in advance, any budgetary changes that may be needed.
- Progress reports: These may be scientific or combined with a financial report and can be almost as complex as submitting a proposal. Alert the PRO grant administrator in advance to clarify documents are roles to ensure timely submission.
- Monthly expense reports: As long as the award is open, the PI is required to monthly certify expenses via VCU's Research Dashboard.
Most industry-sponsored awards incur revenue based on enrollment and specific study milestones. Screening and open ongoing communication with the study team is imperative for successful enrollment. The PROC (Protocol Research Oversight Committee) will review your study on a semi-annual basis to help you review enrollment success, examine internal and external factors, and determine continuance.