Michael Ryan, MD, MEHP
Pediatric Hospital Medicine
Dr. Ryan's research focuses on medical education generally, and competency-based education and assessment more specifically. Competency-based medical education is a movement to assess learner progression in "doctoring" skills based on achievement rather than "time-in-seat." This movement includes the related concepts of milestones, entrustable professional activities (EPAs) and competencies.
Competency-based medical education (CBME) is the present and future of medical training. However, implementation and measurement of CBME is inherently challenging. The purpose of his work involves progress in the realization of CBME across the continuum of training. From 2015-2020, Dr. Ryan led implementation of the Core EPAs at VCU-SOM and in collaboration with partners at the AAMC. The results of this endeavor have identified ongoing challenges associated with CBME and early lessons in terms of validity and reliability of assessment. Future work includes building upon early lessons through future collaboration with leaders across the country and major organizational stakeholders including the AAMC, AMA, and ACGME.
See full bibliography
- Measuring master adaptive learning. PI: Michael S. Ryan MD, MEHP, Funding Source: American Medical Association, Amount: $10,000, Role: Primary Investigator, Percent Effort: n/a, Dates: Sep 2019-Sep 2021
- How fellows grow-up: evaluating autonomy and professional identity formation of pediatric subspecialty fellows. PI: Ashlie Tseng, MD, Funding Source: Children's Hospital Foundation Research Fund, Amount: $5945, Role: Mentor/Co-Investigator, Percent Effort: n/a, Dates: Jul 2019-Jun 2020 (No cost extension through Dec 2020)
- AMA Accelerating Change in Medical Education, PI: Michael S. Ryan MD MEHP, Funding Source: American Medical Association, Amount: $45,000, Role: Primary Investigator, Percent Effort: 5%, Dates: 2019-2021
- The Core Entrustable Professional Activities for Entering Residency Pilot, PI: Michael S. Ryan MD MEHP, Funding Source: Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), Amount: n/a (travel reimbursement only), Role: Primary Investigator/Steering Committee, Percent Effort: n/a, Dates: July 2014-June 2021
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- American Medical Association
Health Equity, Personalized and Translational Medicine