US News best children's hospitals
Your children's hospital is nationally ranked! Twice!
Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU has been ranked among the nation's best for kidney and respiratory care by U.S. News & World Report. Children's Hospital is the only hospital in Virginia to rank in the nephrology and pulmonology categories.
We're thrilled to receive these honors, not for the badges, but for the many kids across Virginia and beyond who turn to us for world-class care.
Our nephrology and pulmonology clinics are conveniently located throughout the Greater Richmond region and Fredericksburg, and we are proud to care for children from across Virginia and the eastern seaboard.
- Rose from 45th to 41st in the rankings
- Fifth time ranking
- Region's only nephrology program
- Provides full range of kidney care for common and complex conditions such as hypertension, lupus, chronic kidney disease, glomerulonephritis, vasculitis and transplantation
- Unique team approach cares for the whole family and child and includes nurses, kidney specialists, nurse educators, dietitians and social workers
- Child-friendly dialysis unit that provides highest level of care while making sure kids get to be kids
- More than 5,000 inpatient and outpatient visits in 2017
- One of six programs in the nation that offers Lipo Absorb therapy for steroid resistant nephrotic syndrome
- Research in sickle cell nephropathy, transition of adolescent to adult care teams, nephrotic syndrome, acute renal failure and renal replacement therapy
- ACGME approved pediatric fellowship training in nephrology
- Ranked 43rd
- You Can Control Asthma Now (UCAN) program has decreased asthma related school days missed, emergency room visits and hospitalizations by more than 50 percent
- Home to Central Virginia's only Cystic Fibrosis Foundation accredited multidisciplinary CF Care Center
- Top 10 nationally for CF pulmonary outcomes
- Member of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Therapeutics Development Network, the largest CF clinical trials network in the world
- Provides full range of respiratory care for common and complex conditions including asthma, aerodigestive conditions, sickle cell lung disease, CF, obstructive sleep apnea, chronic lung disease of prematurity, ventilator and tracheostomy dependence and primary ciliary dyskinesia
- Unique team approach cares for the whole family and child and includes nurses, respiratory specialists, social workers, respiratory therapists, dietitians and researchers
- Innovative research in lung biology, cystic fibrosis and asthma funded by the National Institutes of Health, CF Foundation and others
- ACGME approved pediatric fellowship training in pulmonary medicine
- Our nephrology and pulmonology programs are generously supported by Children's Hospital Foundation.