Cameron K. Gallagher Mental Health Resource Center
Connecting families and providers to mental health resources
Emotional, social and behavioral challenges can be overwhelming and difficult to understand. Our innovative Cameron K. Gallagher Mental Health Resource Center serves as a hub for support, referrals and encouragement every step of the way.
Our family navigators help you understand the mental health options available for children and can help you in finding therapists, psychiatrists or other appropriate services. Our model uses the valuable experiences of others who have navigated the mental health system, providing one-on-one support and referral assistance to families across Virginia.
Services provided by our resource center
We help families navigate and access services in Virginia by serving as the community’s go-to resource for accurate, essential information on children’s mental health and evidence-based practices.
- Family navigators help families and providers explore options: Our family navigators introduce you to mental health care options for your child. They lean on professional training and personal experience to connect with families. Services are provided to families and providers, free of charge.
- Education: We offer education on children’s mental health topics for families and health care providers through trainings and workshops, printed materials and web-based resources.
Please note: The Mental Health Resource Center is not a clinical program. It is designed to assist families and providers in understanding the mental health services available for children and adolescents and link them to appropriate information and care.
How you can help your child feel seen in times of uncertainty
- Starting new traditions (watch a TV series together, take nightly walks, hold a regular game night, etc.)
- Getting them a little extra support when they need it
- Finding safe ways to connect via social media
- Validating their feelings (fear, sadness, disappointment)
- Keeping a routine
- Encouraging them to express their feelings in an age-appropriate way (could be drawing for younger kids, writing for older kids)
Download our tips
If your child is experiencing a mental health crisis
We are not a crisis provider. If you feel your child is having a mental health crisis, please:
- Call your local mental health agency (community services board)
- Call 911
- Take them to the nearest emergency room for evaluation
Contact us: Talk with one of our family navigators
Families can call us to speak with a family navigator, free of charge. We also connect Using a secure fax system, providers may also request that the Mental Health Resource Center contact the family.
- Virginia Treatment Center for Children: 1308 Sherwood Avenue Richmond, Virginia 23220
- Phone: 804-828-9897
- Secure fax: 866-594-3117
The Mental Health Resource Center is a true community collaboration guided by a program advisory group made up of parents, mental health providers, advocacy groups and other parties concerned with improving access to children’s mental health services.
Services are made possible with support from:
- VCU Department of Psychiatry
- Beacon Tree Foundation
- Cameron K. Gallagher Foundation
- Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Estes Foundation
- Fahrenheit Advisors
- Jackson Foundation
- Jenkins Foundation
- Richmond Memorial Health Foundation
- Robins Foundation
- The City of Richmond
- Virginia Healthcare Foundation
- Individual donors
- VTCC Advisory Council
Recursos en Espanol
Aqui le proveemos una lista de paginas en espanol con una variedad de recursos sobre la salud mental.