Our cardiologists care for children who have heart disease or abnormalities. We might see a child for a specific heart condition that we can treat with a single visit or two; in other cases, such as children with congenital heart disease, we develop a long-term bond as they grow up and manage their condition over time.
With every case, we aim to develop a tailored care heart care plan using the least-invasive treatments, doing our best to get your child back to the important job of just being a kid.
Care for every heart condition: Developing the best heart care plan possible for you and your child
Whether your child is born with a congenital heart defect or problems develop in the following years, trust our expert cardiac specialists to develop the best care plan at our pediatric hospital. We care for children with a range of conditions, including:
- Arrhythmias and conduction abnormalities, variations in heartbeats and electrical impulses
- Cardiomyopathy, where your heart muscle isn’t doing its job to pump blood through the body
- Chest pain
- Congenital heart diseases (pediatric and adult), which are present at birth
- Connective tissue diseases that can impact blood flow
- Dyslipidemias, or elevated cholesterol
- Heart murmur, signaled by a “whooshing” sound when listening to the heart
- Kawasaki disease and other causes of myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle
- Syncope/palpitations, in which low blood pumping can cause fainting and other complications
Our team has specific expertise in non-invasive cardiac imaging, including MRI and echocardiography. We’re also researching 4-dimensional flow MRI and other innovative and kid-friendly ways to get the most precise and thorough images possible using the latest technology.
Multidisciplinary approach to your child's heart
Our Children’s Hospital Foundation Heart Center team crosses disciplines to ensure the right doctors, therapists and technicians are helping to diagnose and care for your child.
Among our top treatment areas are:
- Chest wall deformities, where we collaborate with pulmonologists and radiologists to identify issues
- Cardiology and genetics, including Turner’s disease, where children are born with heart defects in addition to chromosomal abnormalities
- Neuromuscular diseases, which – because the heart is one of your most important muscles – are treated in tandem with pulmonology, neurology and physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) and other syncope/palpitation disorders where blood doesn’t flow appropriately, leading to symptoms such as fainting
- Hypertension, where our cardiologists bring in the expertise of pediatric surgeons, exercise physiologists, endocrinologists and physical therapists to help patients lower their blood pressure
We offer the latest diagnostic tools and treatments. We strive to schedule the necessary testing and examinations so that you get answers from your first day at our clinic. Our services include:
- Cardiac catheterization
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Non-invasive imaging and testing
We're all on the same team. If we determine that heart surgery is the best option for your child, we work closely with the cardiothoracic surgeon to ensure that care is coordinated and seamless.
Patient and family history is important for us in understanding your child’s heart health. Our team also provides physicals for children with a risk of heart disease, so they can hit the athletic field and compete safely.