Learn more about our team and contact us with any questions
Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU
1000 East Broad Street Box 980646
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0646
Office: (804) 828-9602
Contact the residency program team
Suzanne Lavoie, M.D.
Pediatrics Residency Program Director
Interim Vice Chair for Education
Professor of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Division Chief, Pediatric Infectious Diseases
Phone: (804) 828-1808
- Medical school: University of Massachusetts
- Residency: Pediatrics residency, Albany Medical Center
- Fellowship: Adult and Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Virginia Commonwealth University
Biography: Dr. Lavoie has been engaged in medical education for over 30 years. Her favorite parts of medical education are to teach the residents to engage with the patients on a personal level and use those encounters to teach medical and interpersonal concepts.
Kerri Carter, M.D.
Assistant program director
Program Director, Pediatric Cardiology
- Undergraduate school: College of William and Mary
- Medical school: Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
- Residency: Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU
- Fellowship: Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU
Biography: Dr. Carter's favorite interactions with residents and students are the moments that she can see the “lightbulb” flash on. She tries to teach in a way that highlights the strengths of her mentors and also adds some innovation in ways that she wishes she had been taught.
Nayef Chahin, M.D.
Associate Program Director
- Medical school: Escuela de Medicina Universidad Panamericana, Mexico City, Mexico
- Residency: The Brooklyn Hospital Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Fellowship: Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine at the Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU
Biography: Dr. Chahin has been involved in resident education for 5 years. His favorite interactions with residents and medical education include teaching during rounds and during NRP simulation. His passion for pediatrics and neonatology allows him to share his knowledge with train