As a parent or caregiver, it's only natural to want the best care for your child and for them to be as comfortable – and in as little pain as possible. While it might not be possible to take away all of their pain, our team is dedicated to providing your child with relief.
Reducing your child's pain
We take a two-fold approach to reducing pain. Our pediatric team will work to make sure your child is getting the best, most effective pain medicine for their needs, while we also offer a variety of non-pharmaceutical techniques to help reduce your child's pain. These techniques include an entire comfort menu to cater to your child's pain needs - from guided imagery to diversional activities.
Because you know your child best, you are uniquely position to help us make your child's visit with us as positive a stay as possible. You can tell us when your child is uncomfortable and help us to best be able to recognize your child's individual signs of discomfort or pain. We encourage you to talk with your child's medical team to:
- Understand realistic expectations for your child's level of discomfort
- Explore pain relief options
- Learn more about how pain management may change to adjust to your child's needs and recovery time
- Provide valuable insight on how you manage your child's comfort level at home
- Ask any additional questions you may have about pain management
Our pain committee is dedicated to making your child as comfortable as possible – in the hospital and at home. The team developed comfort menus to provide non-pharmaceutical ways to help reduce your child's pain:
We encourage you to empower your child to express their pain levels (when able) with their nurse and medical team.