When your child must have surgery, your reassurance and support can help calm their fears.
On surgery day, our perioperative area provides a caring atmosphere where you can be with your child before and after surgery. Our specially trained perioperative nurses care for your child's medical needs during this time, and provide comfort and reassurance.
Comforting your child
You can support your child facing surgery in the following ways:
- Be calm and reassuring when discussing a surgery
- Consider your child's age and personality to decide when and how much to share
- Encourage questions and provide answers so your child knows what to expect
- Help your child choose items to bring to the hospital
Favorite toys or other items can help the hospital feel more like home. Things to bring from home may include:
- Craft items like crayons or stickers
- Hand-held electronic device
- Small cars or trucks
- Stuffed animals
Tour our perioperative unit
For more information about preparing for your child's surgery, read our surgery guide.