What medications can be given through the G-tube?
- Only liquid medications can be given through the G-tube. If the medication comes in a capsule, open the capsule and dissolve the content in 5mL of warm water. If the medication comes as a pill, please ask your pharmacist if it can be crushed and mixed with water.
Tips for giving medications
- Each medication must be given separately. Do not crush or mix medications together.
- Do not mix medications with formula or put medications in the feeding bag or syringe.
- Check the directions for each medication carefully. If a medication needs to be taken on an empty stomach, give it one hour before or two hours after a feeding.
- When giving medications through the G-tube, flush the tube before and after giving each medication. It is important to make sure that the G-tube does not become clogged.
- After giving the medication, wash your syringe and equipment with warm, soapy water. Rinse and dry well.