General surgical care close to home
Our pediatric general surgeons focus on children's unique surgical needs and concerns to diagnose, treat and provide follow-up care for a wide range of pediatric surgical patients at Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU.
Conditions we treat
We surgically treat the following conditions:
- Gastrointestinal (including bariatric) disorders
- Anorectal malformations
- Thoracic and abdominal congenital anomalies
- Tumors in the neck, chest and abdomen
- Vascular access
A caring and compassionate team to help your child before, during and after surgery
In addition to surgeons, your care team includes:
- Specialized nurses
- Radiologists: Our general surgeons work with their colleagues in radiology using the latest techniques – including ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging – to maximize diagnostic accuracy.
- Child Life: Our child life team helps patients and families adjust to and cope with the hospital or clinical setting, illness or injury and the treatments involved. We provide developmental, educational, social and emotional support to children of all ages.
Perioperative care: Providing a place for you before and after surgery
When your child must have surgery, your reassurance and support can help calm their fears.
On surgery day, our perioperative area provides a caring atmosphere where you can be with your child before and after surgery. Our specially trained perioperative nurses care for your child's medical needs during this time and provide comfort and reassurance.
You can help support your child facing surgery in the following ways:
- Be calm and reassuring when discussing a surgery
- Consider your child's age and personality to decide when and how much to share
- Encourage questions and provide answers so your child knows what to expect
- Help your child choose their favorite toys or other items to help the hospital feel more like home. This can include books, stuffed animals, blankets and more.
Tour our perioperative unit
Do you have questions about preparing for surgery, what happens on surgery day or post-surgery recovery information?
Access our surgery guide for children and families