No matter the sport, we're on your team!
We’re here for your family through every phase of childhood – from caring for your newborn to making sure your student athlete is ready to safely hit the football field or dance floor.
Sports physicals, also referred to as preparticipation physical evaluations, help determine if a child is healthy enough to participate in a particular sport. PPEs are required by the Virginia High School League and student athletes are not permitted to try out for a sport without a PPE. Your child's PPE is valid May 1 of the current year until June 30 of the following year.
PPEs typically last 30 minutes (with additional testing time as needed) and are tailored to increase the safety of sports participation by incorporating:
- Enhanced medical history intake
- Prevention tips tailored to the athlete's sport (hydration, overuse injuries, etc.)
- Screenings for cardiac anomalies that can lead to sudden cardiac death (EKG testing <10 minutes and results are reviewed within 24 hours by a CHoR cardiologist)
- Screenings for orthopaedic problems that require further management prior to returning to athletic activity
- Baseline concussion testing (<25 minutes)
- Collaboration and referrals to other CHoR specialties (PM&R, orthopaedics, concussion, etc.) as needed
Call or visit the patient portal today to schedule your student athlete's comprehensive PPE with Dr. Bill Shaw, a fellowship trained sports medicine physician.
Appointments: (804) 828-CHOR (2467)