Receive the nation’s best neurological care for kids
Why trust CHoR with your child’s brain health?
- You don’t have to leave the Richmond area to receive the nation’s best neurological care for kids.
- Our pediatric-trained neurologists have special expertise in child neurology and brain and nervous system-related developmental disabilities.
- Each year, we treat more than 5,000 children living with disorders ranging from the common, such as headaches or epilepsy, to more complex conditions, such as multiple sclerosis or pediatric stroke, that often require lifestyle changes.
- Our specialists are supported by state-of-the-art imaging and medication treatments and are at the forefront of new research into young and still-developing brains and nervous systems.
- Our mission is to improve the lives of children with neurological disorders through compassionate, high-quality medical care and patient education.
Part of a comprehensive Neurosciences Center
Our neurology team is part of a comprehensive Neurosciences Center that also includes neurosurgeons, physical medicine and rehabilitation providers, and researchers. As a team, we treat developing nervous systems with compassion and a deep understanding of what makes your child unique.
Our headache program is led by board-certified physicians who specialize in pediatric neuralgia. We offer medical treatments, occipital nerve blocks, Botox and non-medical options for treatment of migraines and other forms of serious headache.
Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
We are designated as a Level 4 Epilepsy Center, which means we offer the most sophisticated monitoring, treatment and surgical options for children with epilepsy. We continue to grow our team, leadership, research and expertise thanks to nearly $4 million in recent neurosciences funding from Children’s Hospital Foundation.
Neuromuscular disorders are a collection of conditions that impact the nerves, muscles and the connections between them. Kids with neuromuscular diseases are often weak, experience spasms or feel pain. We provide expert and compassionate care for children with an array of neuromuscular conditions.
Pediatric stroke specialists for adolescents
CHoR is one of the only locations in Virginia with a pediatric stroke protocol, developed in collaboration with our pediatric ICU and emergency medicine specialists. The affiliated Comprehensive Stroke Center at VCU Health, the first in Virginia, is the only certified Gold-level stroke program in the Commonwealth as ranked by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.
Advanced minimally invasive treatment for common neurological conditions
Our neurologic specialists provide care for children with conditions including:
- Developmental delay
- Metabolic disorders with neurological symptoms
- Movement disorders
- Neurocutaneous disorders including tuberous sclerosis, neurofibromatosis and Sturge-Weber
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Sleep disorders
- Tourette's syndrome
Leading education and research into pediatric neurology
Our team is actively involved in worldwide efforts to expand our understanding of the child’s brain and nervous system. We work each day to advance the knowledge of neurological disease in children through the development of innovative treatments and clinical research. In addition, our physicians are affiliated with the Department of Neurology at the VCU School of Medicine, sharing knowledge and training the next generation of pediatric neurologists and neurological specialists.
CHoR and VCU Health are national leaders in research, ranking 28th in the U.S. in NIH funding for neuroscience.
Our investigators have made fundamental discoveries in many areas of neurology, with ongoing research projects including basic and translational work in epilepsy, neuro-oncology, neurodegeneration, movement disorders, pain and addiction, and inherited myopathies with a broad array of NIH, foundation and industry-supported clinical trials.
Our child neurology fellowship allows for increasing patient care responsibility across three years of training.