NICU: Nurturing the health of every infant
From helping the tiniest preemies thrive to caring for full-term babies with complex needs, our newborn intensive care unit is dedicated to providing premature and critically ill newborns with the best, most comprehensive medical care in a family-focused environment. Our neonatal fellowship-trained specialists offer complete Level 4 neonatal care – among the highest levels of care available in Virginia.
We have developed a large team of dedicated and experienced health care professionals who bring rapid, complete and focused care to babies and their families as soon as they need it.
The NICU’s special features include:
- 32 private rooms
- 4 double-patient rooms for multiples (twins, triplets)
- Adjustable lighting
- Developmental care space
- Family lounge
- Family resource center
- Family toilet/shower area
- Overnight accommodations for parents in your child’s room, including a pullout sofa, secure wardrobe and breast milk refrigerator
- Palliative care suite
- Procedure room
- Sibling playroom
- Two negative pressure rooms, to prevent cross-contamination
Reasons your child may come to the NICU
The NICU is equipped to treat newborns in need of intensive treatment. Such conditions may include:
- Premature birth
- Congenital anomalies in the heart, brain, kidneys and other organs
- Respiratory distress and inefficiency due to a variety of conditions
- Cardiovascular disease
- Gastrointestinal disease
- Infectious disease, including congenital infections
- Neurological diseases
Where is the NICU located?
We are located on the 6th floor of the Critical Care Hospital.
Contact NICU reception: 804-828-9956
As a Level 4 NICU, we offer the highest levels of lung and heart care
As a Level 4 NICU, we offer the highest level of care for pulmonary (lung and respiratory) and cardiac (heart and blood vessels) conditions. Treatments and resources include: