Consultation and treatment of infectious disease
Our infectious diseases team is recognized across Central Virginia as experts in diagnosing and treating childhood infections of all kinds. Our goal is to diagnose disease and return children to good health, quickly.
Our team reviews suspected infections or existing infections that are complex, chronic, recurrent or particularly difficult to diagnose or treat. Treatment may include antibiotic, antiviral or antifungal therapies.
Infectious conditions we treat
We provide both inpatient and outpatient consultation and care for infectious conditions including:
- Bone and joint infections, including prosthetic joint infections
- Endocarditis and vascular infections
- Meningitis and other central nervous system infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Fungal infections
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Tropical diseases
- Hospital-acquired infections
- HIV infection
- Antibiotic-resistant infections (e.g., MRSA)
- Fever of unknown origin
- Mycobacterial infections, including tuberculosis and MAC
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Infectious diarrhea, including fecal transplant for Clostridium difficile
Our experts also provide preparation for international travel and outpatient intravenous antibiotic therapy.
For medical providers
If you are a medical provider and have a patient with a suspected infectious disease, we offer phone consultations as well as insights on the causes and transmission of disease in a health care setting.
Referrals, appointments and locations
Children's Pavilion - Level 4, Pod E
West Hospital, 3rd Floor
Ambulatory Care Center, 4th floor