From routine to rare, GI care to help kids thrive
Some of the most common ailments in infants, children and teenagers are digestive and stomach issues. These can be common and easily treatable conditions, such as constipation and acid reflux, or they may be more complex and require input from pediatric specialists.
At our primary gastroenterology clinic in downtown Richmond, plus satellite locations throughout central Virginia, children can often receive tests and meet with other doctors, as needed, on the same day.
Conditions and treatments
Working closely with each child and family – and often team members from other pediatric specialties – we treat common and rare digestive conditions such as:
- Acid reflux
- Growth failure
- Tube feeding dependence
- Malabsorptive disorders (such as celiac disease)
- Bacterial overgrowth
- Congenital malformations
It’s the most common condition in children, and we offer treatments to help them have normal bowel movements and find comfort.
Whether “spitting up” in infants or more severe symptoms that lead to failure to gain weight or respiratory problems, we help kids keep food down comfortably.
Food allergies can cause inflammation in the esophagus, a condition known as EoE. Our EoE clinic offers comprehensive testing and ongoing treatment for your child.
Parenteral nutrition dependent disorders
Parenteral nutrition requires feeding through intravenous lines or feeding tubes.
- Conditions: Short bowel syndrome, intestinal failure
- Services: Nutritional support by specialized dietitian and physician
Inflammatory bowel disease
Also known as IBD, these diseases cause pain and disruption along the digestive tract.
- Conditions: Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- Services: Endoscopy, MR enterography, bowel surgery, infusion therapy, enteral nutrition
These include a series of issues that prevent contents in the gastrointestinal tract from moving forward.
- Conditions: Swallowing disorders, gastroesophageal reflux, gastroparesis, stooling issues, Hirschsprung’s disease
- Services: Esophageal manometry, pH-impedance study, gastric emptying scan, colon contrast enema, sitz marker studies, anorectal manometry, pelvic floor therapy, rectal biopsy
Often genetic or caused by various factors, diseases of the liver impact the body’s ability to digest food and break down substances.
- Conditions: Jaundice, abnormal liver enzymes, liver cirrhosis, acute and chronic liver disease
- Services: Liver biopsy, banding of esophagus, nutritional support
Part of the endocrine and digestive system, the pancreas secretes important hormones required to break down food and control blood sugar. When a child’s pancreas isn’t functioning properly, we can offer treatment.
- Conditions: Acute and chronic pancreatitis, pancreatic insufficiency
- Services: Medical management, genetic testing, endoscopic pancreatic function testing, ERCP (endoscopy), endoscopic ultrasound, pancreatic islet transplant
Many children have issues swallowing food or eating normally. We work with each child to ensure they are receiving proper nourishment to grow and thrive.
- Services: Swallow evaluation (modified barium swallow), feeding evaluation and therapy, dietitian support
Preparing for your first appointment
There are no dietary restrictions for the first appointment.
The first appointment requires a detailed interview and comprehensive physical examination, and may also include blood work and/or a rectal exam. Radiology tests and/or endoscopic procedures will be scheduled for a later date after the first appointment. Please bring notes or test results from the pediatrician (CD of x-rays, blood test results, biopsy slides, etc.)