Emergency care: When minutes matter, we save lives
We see every emergency imaginable – and the most cases in the Richmond region every year. When your child needs immediate or life-saving care, we provide not only emergency treatment to stabilize them, but also a range of pediatric subspecialties from neurosciences to orthopaedics and more to take care of all their needs.
For the most severely injured children, we also house the region’s only Level 1 pediatric trauma center, as well as the Evans-Haynes Burn Center, a Level 1 pediatric burn center verified by the American Burn Association.
We put quality and safety first, and we’re pioneering new treatments and approaches daily.
Our emergency room location and parking information
We’re here 24/7 to provide care. Our address is 1213 E. Clay Street, Richmond, VA 23219 and we are offering FREE valet parking for pediatric emergency room families from Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.*
*After 11 p.m. take your ticket to the security guard at the Critical Care Hospital Information Desk (just outside the main pediatric ER entrance for pick-up information).
Emergency room at CHoR: Our doors are open 24/7 – every day of the year, to treat any child, regardless of condition or the ability to pay.
Our 10,000-square-foot emergency department is designed to take care of the youngest patients through teenagers. We offer:
- Only designated Level I pediatric trauma center in the region (the first in Virginia). When your child arrives, our triage team assesses their condition and determines whether acute or fast-track care is needed.
- Dedicated pediatric radiology suite
- Separate entrance and waiting room
- 12 large exam rooms, with recliners for families
- Four fast-track rooms, where we can treat and release children with conditions such as ear infections, colds and rashes. Our Child life specialists know that emergencies can be stressful for your child (and you). At every stage of care, our child life team is available to talk with your child and explain what is happening to them in the most appropriate ways for their age and condition. The team has master’s level training in how to make this less stressful for your child.
- iPads to give kids a distraction
- Literacy center with books for children to take home
In addition to emergency physicians, we have a comprehensive team of nurse practitioners, award-winning nurses, social workers and others to provide a continuum of care, as up to 40 percent of pediatric emergency patients are admitted to the hospital. We also can coordinate follow-up treat
Take a tour of our emergency room