Allergies are no fun and, for some kids, can be life-threatening. We help to make an accurate diagnosis and recommend ways to limit exposure to allergens through diet, lifestyle and appropriate treatment. An allergy is just one possible result when the immune system isn’t working as it should, so our immunologists also take time to understand the many factors that may be impacting your child's reactions and overall health.
Our allergy and immunology doctors are nationally-recognized leaders certified by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology - and we're committed to safeguarding your child's health while discovering new treatment methods. As part of an academic medical center, our physicians are actively involved in basic and clinical research with unique expertise in human mast cells, basophils, severe asthma, hereditary angioedema, hypereosinophilic syndrome and immunodeficiencies.
Conditions and treatments
We offer comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for conditions including:
- Allergic rhinitis (hay fever)
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- Drug allergy
- Food allergy
- Food protein-induced enterocolitis, which can be a delayed response to an ingested protein
- Eosinophilic disorders, or a build-up of white blood cells
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Mast cell disorders
- Anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction
- Hereditary angioedema, swelling caused by allergic reactions
- Immunodeficiency disorders
- Insect hypersensitivity
- Latex allergy
Among the treatments and testing we offer are:
- Allergy skin testing
- Lung function testing
- Food allergy testing
- Drug allergy testing
- Drug desensitization
- Food challenge
- Infusion of IVIg to treat antibody deficiencies
- Biologics in treatment of allergic and immunologic disorders
We also work with families to coordinate visits to other pediatric specialists, including rheumatologists, gastroenterologists, pulmonologists and dermatologists.
Severe asthma clinic
We offer the region's only pediatric severe asthma clinic, staffed by both allergists and pulmonologists. Our comprehensive, blended approach to evaluation and management enhances the care for children with chronic asthma, while decreasing the time that both children and families need to spend in the clinic.