Dr. Sharps is a pediatric orthopaedist with more than 30 years of experience caring for children with both common and complex conditions. He offers special expertise in scoliosis, osteogenesis imperfecta, sports injuries and orthopaedic trauma. We welcomed him to the team as a full-time faculty member in 2021, but he has been a part of the CHoR and VCU families in various roles for nearly three decades. He is currently seeing patients at our Fredericksburg, Colonial Heights, Williamsburg and Tappahannock locations.
Dr. Sharps is admired and respected by families and pediatricians across Virginia and is well-known for his expert confidence and compassionate bedside manner. He ran a successful private practice for many years before merging with Tuckahoe Orthopaedics and then returning to our academic medical center.
Dr. Sharps is an active member of the community and serves as medical director of World Pediatric Project’s Caribbean Scoliosis Program. He’s the current president of the Board of Directors for the Special Olympics of Virginia and has been a member of the Board since 2016.
He is married, and has 4 children and 5 grandchildren. He enjoys playing golf in his spare time.
Additional professional memberships/committees include:
- Virginia Pediatric Society (VPS)
- Scoliosis Research Society (SOS)
- Medical Society of Virginia (MSV)
- Virginia Orthopaedic Society (VOS)
- North American Spine Society (NASS)
- Group International Cotrel-Dubousset
- Richmond Orthopaedic Services (ROS)
- Richmond Academy of Medicine (RAM)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons (ABOS)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAOP, Virginia Chapter)
- Association of Children’s Prosthetic Orthotic Clinic (ACPOC)
- American Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine