Infectious Diseases, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Pediatric Infectious Diseases
Areas of interest
General pediatric infectious diseases
Pediatric HIV infections
After completion of her fellowship, Dr. Lavoie joined the faculty of both the departments of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine at VCU in 1993. She founded the Pediatric AIDS Program in 1994 and later became director of the HIV Family Clinic, the only source for Pediatric HIV care in the region. She has been the program director for the Pediatric Residency Training Program since 1999. In 2007, she founded the International Adoption Clinic.
1. Friedel D., Lavoie S. Epidemiology and Trends in Sexually Transmitted Diseases. In: Wallace RB, ed. Public Health and Preventive Medicine, 15th edition. New York, NY: McGraw Hill. 2007; pg 155-188.
2. Tassiopoulos K., Williams P.L., Seage G.R. 3rd, Crain M., Oleske J., Farley J.; International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials 219C Team. Association of hypercholesterolemia incidence with antiretroviral treatment, including protease inhibitors, among perinatally HIV-infected children. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008 Apr 15;47(5):607-14.
3. Williams P.L., Van Dyke R., Eagle M., Smith D., Vincent C., Ciupak G., Oleske J., Seage G.R. 3rd; PACTG 219C Team. Association of site-specific and participant-specific factors with retention of children in a long-term pediatric HIV cohort study. Am J Epidemiol. 2008 Jun 1;167(11):1375-86. Epub 2008 Apr 15.
4. Patel K., HernÃ¡n M.A., Williams P.L., Seeger J.D., McIntosh K., Dyke R.B., Seage G.R. 3rd; Pediatric AIDS Clinical Trials Group 219/219C Study Team. Long-term effects of highly active antiretroviral therapy on CD4+ cell evolution among children and adolescents infected with HIV: 5 years and counting. Clin Infect Dis. 2008 Jun 1;46(11):1751-60.
5. Malee K., Williams P.L., Montepiedra G., Nichols S., Sirois P.A., Storm D., Farley J., Kammerer B.; PACTG 219C Team. The role of cognitive functioning in medication adherence of children and adolescents with HIV infection. J Pediatr Psychol. 2009 Mar;34(2):164-75. Epub 2008 Jul 22.
6. Van Dyke R.B., Wang L., Williams P.L.; Pediatric AIDS Clinical Trials Group 219C Team. Toxicities associated with dual nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitor regimens in HIV-infected children. J Infect Dis. 2008 Dec 1;198(11):1599-608.
Medical care of adults and children with HIV,Antimicrobial therapy,Medical psychosocial issues in internationally adopted children