Dr. Dec has over 28 years’ experience covering sidelines and mass events for youth sports, high schools, colleges, national, and pro level. As a volunteer physician for the United States Olympic Paralympic programs she worked with US Track and Field, USA Basketball, US Cycling, US Gymnastics and Paralympic Cycling, Goalball, Rowing during international events including Pan Am, Paralympics and International championships.
She serves as an assistant fellowship director for an affiliate primary care sports medicine fellowship and as head team physician for Longwood University. Dr. Dec’s volunteering experience includes being physician director elect for the Board of Certification for the Athletic Trainers Frank C. McCue Sports Medicine Advisory Committee for Virginia High School League and other sports medicine areas of care. She is past president of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM), past committee member of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). She continues to engage in concussion and sports-related policy and research with her service to the American Academy Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, American College of Sports Medicine, and AMSSM.
Dr. Dec is passionate about empowering patients to ‘stay in the game’ of sports. Her prior awards in teaching, excellence in sports medicine and patient care supports her values in keeping children and adults active while helping advance clinical practice.
She enjoys seeing youth ages eight and up for prevention, diagnosis and treatment in sports-related issues.
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM), Fellow
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPMR), Fellow
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Association of Academic Physiatrists
- International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine
- Richmond Academy of Medicine
Professional Activity/Team Coverage
- Ironman Medical Tent physician, Ironman World Championships, Kona, Hawaii
- Longwood University Athletics
- Richmond Marathon, Half Marathon, VCU 8K
- Clinical Sports Medicine Leadership Committee, American College Sports Medicine
- Big South Advisory Group on Return to Play (COVID19 Pandemic)
- Frank C. McCue Sports Medicine Advisory Committee for Virginia High School League
- Board of Directors, Board of Certification for the Athletic Trainer, Physician Director elect
- AAPMR multi-specialty concussion group assessing Appropriate Use of Exercise in Concussion Treatment
For a list of publications, please visit PubMed.
Honors and Awards
- Richmond Magazine “Top Docs” in Pediatric Sports Medicine: 2021
- Richmond Magazine “Top Docs” in Sports Medicine: 2006, 2008, 2010 through 2017
- Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, Department of PM&R, VCU, 2018
- Faculty Excellence Award, Department of PM&R, VCU, 2018, 2019
- Frank C. McCue, III, MD Sports Medicine Award, Virginia High School Coaches Association 2011
- Richmond Magazine “Top Docs for Women” in Sports Medicine 2009
- Outstanding Educator in Sports Medicine, Chesterfield Family Practice, 2008
- Professionals Who Made a Difference, Longwood University, Virginia 2006
- Ken Davis Teaching Excellence Award, Physician, Hanover Family Practice Residency 2005