Children's Hospital Foundation is an independent 501(c)3 that works to maximize philanthropic impact in children’s health at Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU, driving excellence in patient care, education, and research. We are dedicated to raising and stewarding philanthropic resources that will enable CHoR to become a top, nationally-ranked children's hospital. With roots going back 100 years to the incorporation of the original children's hospital on Brook Road in 1920, we are proud to work with generous members of our community who believe there is no greater cause than providing for the health care needs of children.
The original Crippled Children's Hospital, constructed in 1928, is now the Brook Road Campus of Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU.
In 1917, Dr. William Tate Graham, Virginia's first orthopaedic surgeon, opened a free clinic in the basement of his office on East Franklin Street. Many children, most of whom were victims of the polio epidemic, were brought to the clinic for care. By 1928, the clinic had grown into a new hospital, operating under the name Crippled Children's Hospital, that was funded by a generous bequest of $500,000 from Sallie May Dooley.
In the 1930s, most patients at Crippled Children's Hospital were being treated for polio.
Our original logo
The original Children's Hospital on Brook Road featured the Andrea della Robbia image of the Holy Infant's welcoming arms (pictured at right), and the mark was adopted as the hospital logo. For many years, this image has symbolized compassionate care extended to so many through the hospital and supported by our Foundation. The legacy of the della Robbia's "open arms extended to those in need" lives on and reminds us of our mission to this day.
An expanding mission
By 1980, the hospital had grown from its roots as a free hospital for children with orthopaedic problems into a multi-specialty hospital open to all children. The name was changed to Children's Hospital to better reflect the services offered, and the hospital continued to grow over the following years, including the addition of a new inpatient unit for children in need of long-term care.
Creating a full-service hospital
On June 30, 2010 Children’s Hospital and VCU Children’s Medical Center combined operations to become a full-service hospital under the name Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU (CHoR). At the same time, Children’s Hospital Foundation became an independent foundation dedicated to raising funds to support and advocate for pediatric initiatives at CHoR.
Today, that work continues with the construction of our new inpatient tower that will create an entire city block dedicated to the care of children.