Healthy Lifestyles Center
Obesity in children is reaching epidemic proportions, with 1 in 3 U.S. kidsconsidered overweight or obese. The long-term health consequences are equally alarming; these kids are at higher risk for Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, liver and kidney disease, and adult-onset heart disease.
The Healthy Lifestyles Center at the Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU aims to stem the rising tide of childhood obesity by promoting healthy weight management, eating, exercise and lifestyle habits that can last a lifetime.
If you wish to enroll your child in any of the Healthy Lifestyles Center's programs, the first step is a comprehensive assessment by a weight management physician, behavioral psychologist, dietitian and exercise physiologist. An individualized treatment plan is created that includes:
- Fitness goals established with a personal trainer
- Group-based treatments
- Nutrition therapy
- Participation in research studies
- Psychological support and counseling for behavior change
- Weight loss surgery evaluation for adolescents
Older adolescents who are severely obese and have significant weight-related medical conditions may be candidates for one of several weight-loss surgery procedures. They must meet established criteria and participate in a medically supervised lifestyle intervention program for at least 6 months.
Several studies are underway to find better ways to effectively manage weight problems among children and adolescents, including:
Resources for Parents
- Let's Go! 5-2-1-0
- Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth
- Northern Virginia Health Kids Coalition
- NC NET: Smart-size Your Portions
- Calculate Your Child's BMI
- Calculate Your BMI
- National Initiative for Children's Healthcare Quality
- Tips for Eating on a Budget
- Healthy Eating Tips
- How Much Sugar Is in That?
Virtual Tour: Healthy Lifestyles Center
Appointments and Location
To make an initial appointment with a physician specialist in pediatric endocrinology at the Healthy Lifestyles Clinic, call (804) 828-CHOR (2467). Services are provided at the Healthy Lifestyles Center.
The specialized team at the Healthy Lifestyles Center includes:
- Exercise specialists
- Physician specialists