When a child experiences gender dysphoria (gender identity disorder), or exhibits cross-gender behavior, it is important that they have support from family as well as a professional and knowledgeable health care team.
Our experts in endocrinology and psychiatry work together to provide a comprehensive approach to care for children and adolescents up to age 18 in a gender-friendly atmosphere. These specialists also work with our adolescent medicine physician to ensure coordinated care.
Care is individualized for each patient and may include:
- Letters of medical necessity for hormone treatment, school issues and/or surgery, as needed
- Medical hormone management
- Prescription medications
- Psychiatric care
- Referrals to peer and family support groups
- Educational materials
Appointments and Location
(804) 828-CHOR (2467)
We encourage families to seek support and knowledge to complement the care offered by our clinical team. We recommend the following resources.
Resources, including the following books, are also available through the Children's Mental Health Resource Center, which is located just off the main lobby in the Virginia Treatment Center for Children.
- The Transgender Child by Stephanie Brill and Rachel Pepper
- The Transgender Teen by Stephanie Brill and Lisa Kenney
- Transgender 101 by Nicholas Teich