Virginia Treatment Center for Children
The new VTCC building is now open!
1308 Sherwood Avenue
Richmond, VA 23220
Enter Brook Road Campus via Sherwood Avenue. Building entrance is on Sherwood.
Virginia Treatment Center for Children is dedicated to providing family-centered care and offers a range of psychiatric services for children and adolescents. We provide short-term crisis stabilization with round-the-clock care within a supportive environment. We work with families and communities to transition children home with continuing care after discharge.Our expertise includes:
- Anxiety disorders
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorders
- Mental health consequence of trauma
- Mental health problems complicated by gender/sexuality issues
- Mood disorders
- Problem behaviors at home and school
- Problems with adjustment
- Transgender care
VTCC provides 24-hour acute care for children and adolescents in a supportive environment. VTCC has 24 beds, including two units with 12 private rooms each. Patient amenities include a full size gymnasium, outdoor courtyard with play equipment and recreation activity areas.
The short-term acute care inpatient program seeks to stabilize children and adolescents and then transition them back home with mental health care support within their community. A typical inpatient stay ranges from 5-7 days.
Acute care program services include:
- Crisis stabilization, assessment and diagnosis by a multidisciplinary team
- Educational services
- Individual, group and family psychotherapy
- Medication assessment and management
- Medical management and psychiatric services
- Nutritional services including meeting special dietary needs by working with a registered dietitian
- Occupational therapy when clinically indicated
- Pet therapy
- Recreational therapy
- School services
Our experienced and compassionate team members have a long history of successfully caring for children with a wide variety of mental and behavioral health care needs. Outpatient care addresses:
- Adjustment problems
- Anxiety disorders
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorders
- Behavior disorders at home and school
- Personality and mood disorders
- Sexual abuse
Contact and location
General information: 804-828-3129
Outpatient appointments: 804-828-5900
Inpatient admissions: 1-855-546-7792
Prior to inpatient admission, children must be screened by a qualified mental health professional. This can be the child's regular mental health provider or a screener in a hospital emergency room or community services board. After determining that inpatient care is needed, the screener will contact VTCC to arrange next steps.
Virginia Treatment Center for Children is a hospital inpatient and outpatient facility of the VCU Medical Center.
Help us defeat the stigma and transform children's mental health care.