Respiratory therapists at Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU provide both diagnosis and treatment if your child needs help with breathing.
Our expert staff care for patients in the neonatal and pediatric intensive care units and pediatric emergency department, and attend high-risk births. Services include basic and complex mechanical ventilation, extracorporeal support, mixed gas and other specialized respiratory treatments.
- Respiratory conditions treated include:
- Chronic lung disease in infants
- Cystic fibrosis
- Lung problems associated with:
- Brain injury or other trauma
- Immune compromise
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Sickle cell anemia chest crisis
- Post-cardiac surgery recovery
- Respiratory failure
Our respiratory therapists also educate patients and family to use respiratory care equipment or administer respiratory medications in the home.