- Your visit will be on Level 4 of the Children's Pavilion
- We understand that this is not an easy decision to make for your child and you may have serious concerns that must be addressed before deciding on whether to proceed with the surgery.
- We sincerely believe that reviewing the checklist before the clinic visit will facilitate our discussion about the G-tube.
- We recommend you review the G-tube page before the visit that may help address some of the concerns that you may have.
- Please write down any additional questions that you may have and our staff will address them during the clinic visit.
- These requirements must be met or arranged for 1 week before the day of surgery. *If they are not met or arranged, please make sure to give us a call at 804-828-3500.
- Have you reviewed these pages? G-tube, At Home after Surgery, G-tube care, Nutrition, Medications, Troubleshooting and FAQs
- Please make arrangements for: nutrition plan with a nutritionist, feeding pump and necessary G-tube supplies (as mentioned at the end of G-tube care page), home health agency, prescriptions for postoperative care. If not done, please call the clinic at 804-828-3500 to help with these arrangements.
The Day Before Surgery
When should your child stop eating/drinking?
- Your child should stop eating 6 hours before the surgery. Your child may drink water or other clear liquids such as apple juice and Gatorade up until 2 hours before surgery. Please time your child's operation to make sure the surgery does not get delayed due to oral intake.
My child is sick. What should we do?
- Please let us know immediately if your child sick. This may have a major impact on surgery and we may need to reschedule it for another time when your child feels better. Please call 804-828-3500. If it's after-hours before the day of surgery, you may wait until the morning to call us or if urgent, please head to the nearest emergency room or call 911. However, we may still able to proceed if it's a mild sickness.
Where do I take my child for surgery?
- Please go to the day of surgery page to review where your child needs to go for surgery.