New Inpatient Healthy Lifestyles Center Consult Services
Saturday, September 20, 2014
As part of CHoR's global effort to provide comprehensive services for the prevention and treatment of childhood obesity at CHoR, several new providers have been added to our Healthy Lifestyles Center (HLC) team and we have expanded services to the inpatient setting. Our new team members will help to enhance the obesity treatment and prevention services we currently provide in both the inpatient and outpatient.
New HLC team members
- Dr. Carter's clinical focus is in preventative cardiology and weight-related co-morbidities, such as dyslipidemia and obesity related hypertension. She sees patients at the Center for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism (adjacent to the Healthy Lifestyles Center).
- Ms. Conkright's clinical focus will be on children and adolescents with overweight/obesity and weight-related co-morbidities, including type 2 diabetes. Beginning September 29, 2014, Ms. Conkright will also oversee the new inpatient HLC consult service that is funded by local Walmart and Sam's Club support through a partnership with Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. Ms. Conkright will work with a multidisciplinary team of doctors including Drs. Carter, Wickham and Wijesooriya.
Inpatient HLC consult service
The inpatient HLC consult Service is intended to be a resource for CHoR's primary inpatient care team as we seek to identify and appropriately treat all patients with overweight and obesity – regardless of the reason for admission. When patients are identified by the admitting team as being overweight or obese (based on BMI), the inpatient HLC consult service will be available to help the team appropriately manage overweight/obesity-related concerns. The consult will not be called automatically, but the service will be available to help provide management for all children, adolescents, and young adults with overweight/obesity. The consult service will also be available to assist the primary inpatient care team in communicating weight-related findings and recommended care plans to the patient's primary care provider to ensure continuity of care.
The primary goals of the inpatient Healthy Lifestyles Center consult service are to:
- Assist providers with evaluation for overweight and obesity related co-morbidities
- Evaluate current health behaviors of patients/families and assess readiness for change
- Provide lifestyle modification education and counseling
- Help families develop a family-based care plan for weight management
- Connect patients/families with treatment resources during hospitalization
- Facilitate appropriate transition to existing outpatient services, (TEENS, NOURISH, Healthy Lifestyles Center, cardiology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, etc.) prior to discharge
Contact the inpatient HLC consult service
Please contact Mary Conkright, MS, RN, CPNP to learn more.