- Calendar of Events
- Quality and safety initiatives
- US News Best Children's Hospitals
- Press Room
- Contact Us
Pediatric Clinical Decision Unit now open
Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU's new Pediatric Clinical Decision Unit offers care for children with specific conditions that typically require less than 24 hours of observation. The unit provides safe, effective and efficient care in an outpatient setting, with access to all pediatric specialties and resources.
Children are evaluated in the pediatric emergency department and can be transitioned as needed to the four-bed pediatric CDU for continued observation. Patients are frequently assessed to monitor the progression of their illness and/or response to treatment. Care is provided by pediatric ER team members with oversight from pediatric hospitalists. Pediatric specialists are engaged in the ongoing care of their patients and primary care physicians are notified and updated on the clinical course and discharge plans.
Conditions treated in the unit include, but are not limited to:
- Asthma (mild to moderate)
- Abdominal pain (to rule out appendicitis)
- Mild head injury
- Diabetic ketoacidosis not needing an insulin drip
- Urinary tract infection with intolerance of oral hydration
- Cellulitis needing 12-23 hours of IV antibiotics