- Make an Appointment
- Inpatient Information
- Tour our Facilities
- Insurance and Billing
- Preparing for Surgery
- Where to Stay
- Gift Shops
- Community Health Education Center
- Family-Centered Care
- STAR Service
- Patient/Family Concerns
- Contact Us
Virginia Treatment Center for ChildrenVirginia Treatment Center for Children (VTCC) is Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU's child and adolescent behavioral health hospital. VTCC is dedicated to providing child- and family-centered care and offers a range of psychiatric services from outpatient treatment to intensive inpatient care, including crisis stabilization.
VTCC provides 24-hour acute care for children and adolescents in a supportive environment. VTCC has 24 beds, including two units with 12 private rooms each. Patient amenities include a full size gymnasium, outdoor courtyard with play equipment, seasonal pool and recreation activity areas.
The short-term acute care inpatient program seeks to stabilize children and adolescents and then transition them back home with mental health care support within their community. Acute care program services include:
- Crisis stabilization, assessment and diagnosis by a multidisciplinary team
- Educational services
- Individual, group and family psychotherapy
- Medication assessment and management
- Medical management and psychiatric services
- Nutritional services including meeting special dietary needs by working with a registered dietitian
- Occupational therapy when clinically indicated
- Pet therapy
- Recreational therapy
What you can expect when your child is a patient at VTCC:
- Collaborative problem solving approach to managing behavior (an effective yet compassionate way of helping children manage their behavior)
- Daily care is provided primarily by registered nurses
- Full-time attending child psychiatrists on site
- Interdisciplinary team collaboration to develop and implement treatment plans that reflect each child and family's unique needs and strengths
- On-site pharmacist who works with physicians to manage medications
- Open visitation for parents/guardians, including overnight stays
- Parents/guardians participate with their child throughout the course of treatment
- Private rooms
- Trauma-Informed Care to help children and families who have experienced significant and repeated trauma in their lives (homelessness, separation, violence, etc.)
Spending the Night
Being in the hospital can be frightening for a child. We encourage parents/guardians to be present at VTCC as much as possible during their child's hospitalization. When clinically appropriate, we will allow a parent/guardian to spend the night with their child.
Parents/guardians are allowed to visit at any time. Scheduled visitation hours are available for other visitors and vary by patient. Please check with your child's nurse for more information.
- All adult visitors are required to sign in and out with the receptionist and provide a picture ID.
- Visitors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Meals and a la carte foods are served in a dedicated cafeteria; parents/guardians are welcome to eat with their child. There is a charge for parent/guardian meals.
Parentsguardians and visitors may park in the dedicated VTCC parking slots on the side of the building or use on the street parking. Additional parking is available in the Patient and Visitor deck.
Resource Phone Numbers